Wednesday 3 March 2010

Welcome to Cambodia

"Welcome Liz"... the colourful sign hangs prominantly on my bedroom door, placed there by my two housemates Ayako and Dorina, it fills my with alot of peace.

I cannot believe i am actually in the Kingdom of Cambodia, it is so strange and surreal. We are 7 hours ahead here so the time difference should really affect me but it doesnt at all. The 14 hour flight via Singapore went really quickly... it truly is miles away from Easy Jet. I had leg room, i didnt have to scramble to the departure gate, they actually served food-  three meals which included roast beef, and prawn noodles which was delicious! I watched two really good films 'Kung Fu Panda' and 'Blind Side'. i could have watched more but i wanted to save something for the return flight home!
It wasnt at all strange flying for so long and im not Jet lagged at all. As far as my body is concerned it went to bed when it was dark and woke up in the light, so it feels like a normal day even though im so far ahead!

Today was good, met up with Serene who is the Serve Asia co-ordinator and has really been helping me in the run up to arriving here! I had my first ride in a Tuk -Tuk which is a very intresting contraption! Its like a horse carriage but on the back motorcycle and is vastly more safe than the Motortaxis. I saw a family of four (including 2 children who must of been about 3/4) sitting on one Motorraxi! The traffic system is similar to that of swarming bees, it just surges forward with little regard to the oposing traffic. Crossing the road (as Serene kindly reminded me) is just about "taking small steps of faith" there's no such thing as pedestrian crossings here! You simply step out slowly and allow traffic to navigate around you, " remember no sudden movements". Imagine any Idiana Jones film where he has to cross a series of swinging blades and swords and you will be close to the Cambodian traffic system!

The people here are very nice and smiley but they do really stare, i mean really really stare. I think next time i am at London Zoo i will be more compassionate towards the animals! Its like i am an Alien species, something to be analysed and fascinated over! Its really intresting being the only Black person in the whole of Cambodia (well thats how i feel anyway)!!!!

I got my scheduale today and most of my work here will consist manly of helping out with an organisation called Daughters. It offers an alternative to prostitutes who have the desire to get out of the brothels but have no other means of income, so it helps find them jobs such as sowing etc. People all over the team centre keep mentioning dancing, so i assume thats what i will be doing there so if any one has any dancing tips... please kindly let me know!

Liz xx

2 comments:

  1. Amen! So glad to know you arrived safely. Praise God for that. Tuktuks are like the best mode of transport ever lol. I'm sure you're not the only black person in cambodia ;) but its kool, you'll get used to it. About the dancing tips, i'll get back to you on that one. Me and Gabi are praying for you. Keep up the good work and be strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh glad you got there safely!!!
    The tuktuk reminds me of a NAPEP in Nigeria, fun but scary going downhill!!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete